About this site



Welcome!

Thank you so much for visiting my site, please bare with me as I continue to construct my site!

The topic of stereotypes, racism, prejudice, discrimination, and ignorance has been very important to me since I was about 10 years old, when I first noticed and experienced racism (another story), however it continues to be a conversation of great importance considering our political climate. So for starters, I just want to point out that this site was inspired by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, whose famous and heart-warming TED Talk addresses the danger of a single story, or from my own expanded interpretation: the negative stereotypes that exist about various groups of people in our society that don't share the WHOLE story of who they are. Thus my goal is to deconstruct the norms we all have learned in our western society, in order to explore the unknown and to accept the vast realities and possibilities of human culture. As Adichie states, it is important to share stories, but WHOLE stories, different stories, in order to better understand the beliefs and experiences of various individuals. 

So as I reside in Ecuador for a year to volunteer and teach English, I want to share with you all stories, COMPLETE stories of the people who live in Ecuador, because if we TRULY listen to the stories of people who identify different from us, if we TRULY listen to their experiences without judgement but with eagerness to learn, we can live much happier lives with one another and with ourselves. As human beings, we are all so much more similar than different, but we fail to see this, leading us to be in constant competition with one another, creating unjust and unfair experiences for certain groups of people. We have been trained to become confused, angry, and hostile when someone else does not agree with our opinions, or beliefs. We strive to convert others to believe what we believe in, as if there was only one single truth or reality. It is time to open our ears, and our hearts to accept that we are not always right, that our way of living and believing is not the only way or the right way. You may be surprised how another person's beliefs, customs, and traditions could intrigue your mind, tingle your taste buds, and overall better your wellbeing. You could become a much a happier person knowing that there are other ways of living: you don't have to work a 9-5 job, or eat the same genre of food every day for dinner at the exact same time. Adapt your routine or change it entirely, be brave and try something out of the ordinary! 


Overall I want all of us to take some time out of our busy week, to step outside of everything we have been taught and attempt to accept a different way of living. Because people outside of us and our regular social circles may impact our lives in a way we may have never imagined. So please stay on this journey with me and TRULY listen, not only as you navigate this site but when you interact with those who surround you.  

Until next time,

Anabel 

P.S

For Adichie's TED Talk follow the link below 
https://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story

P.S.S

I know it may sound like I talk in clichés but what I say has truth to it!
Also please let me know what you would like to see more of!

Comments